SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mountains above crater?

jwallis

A while back, i was taking my time viewing the moon, when a crater near the edge popped into view. It was not the crater that made me look twice, but the 3 lights above it and behind it. Just wish i had a camera at the time to take a few snaps. Anyway, after changing my eyepiece to get a closer look, i came to the conclusion that what i was seeing must have been part of a mountain range. How high are some of these, because these were standing pretty well high above. Amazing that whenever you get the scope out, there is always something that gets your heart beating that bit faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed,

One of the first school lessons I remember (infant school) was a Female teacher telling us about the "dots of light" just over the darkened edge of the moon being the tips of mountains surrounded by total darkness,

and to imagine what a sight it would be looking from one of the mountain tops :D

JJ..

Archived