Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Portable power pack ?

Hi guys , need some advice please.

The portable power pack that came with my new EQ6 mount met with an unfortunate end tonight after bringing my new scope home. It was left on his drive and my son backed over it with my Ranger Rover. To be honest it wasn't up to much anyway. I need some of advice on a new one can I get one one from Halfords and if so what specification does it need to be ?

If you you get one from maplins definitely check it before you leave the shop... I have seen quite a few returned with cracked cases... they are definitely "budget" cases... IIRC they coem with a 500mA wallwart so your looking at 40 hours for a full charge...

Billy...

Hi guys , need some advice please.

The portable power pack that came with my new EQ6 mount met with an unfortunate end tonight after bringing my new scope home. It was left on his drive and my son backed over it with my Ranger Rover. To be honest it wasn't up to much anyway. I need some of advice on a new one can I get one one from Halfords and if so what specification does it need to be ?

This is an area like most things where YMMV - your mileage may vary. I'm sure some of those Cybermen-style clone power pack jobbies are ok but after a period you'll find, even if charged properly, them going below the 12v quickly and just being useless.

Better to go for a proper marine or leisure battery. It will be heavier, cost more and not have a built-in torch or power socket but you'll get a solid 12v and plenty amps to serve out for GOTOs, laptops whatever - and with something like an EQ6...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Supercharged,

Can I ask how you connected the 3 in 1 to your mount? Do you just take both ends of the lead that were attached to the AA battery pack and connect them to the positive clamp on the 3 in 1? Sorry if this is a bit of a daft question but I am getting one this week endand still don't have a clue how I would connect it.

Noooooo - you use the cigarette lighter adapter - if your mount has a battery pack it might be only 6v and connecting it to one of these power packs would wreck it. What mount do you have ?

Thanks, AstroBaby! you probably saved me some pain.

I have a SupaTrak.

I hope I can impose and ask you to describe in detail what iIneed to do to make it work. Basically, my current power pack is one of the small ones that I put batteries in. I can romove the lead from the pack and basically them I have 2 wires.

Archived