NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Traveling Scope

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

I am looking for my first scope (as are many people here), for around £250, I would like to easily use the scope at home or use whilst traveling around in my motorhome. My main usage would be for observing and photographing (canon 550D), moons and planets but would like to dip my toe in a little distant object viewing.

Specifically on DSO toe-dipping, your motorhome gives an opportunity to reach dark sites, from where any instrument will give very satisfying views. If you can see the Milky Way with the naked eye then you will be able to see most or maybe even all the Messier objects with binoculars. Larger aperture will make the view more interesting, but too much set-up time and paraphenalia will lower the fun factor. A 6 inch dob would be my suggestion but if that's too bulky then a small scope on an alt-az tripod would be fine. My holiday scope is an 80mm short-tube refractor on a photo tripod - very nice for deep-sky viewing at a dark site - though not great for planets because short focal-length means low magnification. More aperture and longer focal length require a more heavy-duty mount.

I had that problem with my 130 SLT, I ordered from binoculars UK (over Amazon). They sent me an email saying their supplier had let them down and gave me the same date as you. I cancelled my order and placed another through OpticStar, was slightly more expensive (£10 or so), but I ordered it on Friday and should receive it Monday/Tuesday (hopefully)... Can definitely recommend them!

Rob

P.S. I don't work for them by the way, just a happy customer!

Archived