new here - want help identifying a star

last night I sat outside to watch the Quantrantid shower. I got to see a few bright meteors one blue with a trail and one travel the entire sky south to north. Upon picking up my stuff to go inside (it's cold here in Vermont haha) I noticed a flickering light in the sky off to the east. I thought it was a plane at first until I noticed that it wasn't going anywhere (except for around polaris obviously :eek: )

It caught my interest because it was appeared to flicker much like a flame on a candle and had a very distinct read appearance. I took a picture with the only camera I have on me currently ( Canon powershot SX30IS, I left my 30D elsewhere)

If anyone can help me identify this star (assuming it has some identity) and whatever constellation it belongs to it would be awesome. I've been racking my brain all day trying to find a constellation that looks similar to anything I photographed.

The star was probably about 35 degrees above the horizon, approximately 1am on January 4th. Ursa Major was pretty high in the sky by this time. The star in question is the biggest one almost center frame.

post-22996-133877514978_thumb.jpg

It's arcturus in Bootes the herdsman & you've captured saturn too (the brightest star near the far right edge slightly lower than arcturus.

just found it it too thanks to the other reply with stellarium!

Honestly I'm pretty stoked that this program exists, I never heard of it before and I was able to coin in the time approximately that i shot that and there it was.

I've long had an interest in the skies above us, since I was a child. I got to see the rings of saturn and Jupiters moons among other things through a telescope at a science museum during a lunar eclipse in the 90s.

I'm going to link my other thread i created in interest to using binoculars for viewing. If any of you can help I'd be thrilled!

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-binoculars/123883-first-pair-binos.html

Archived