NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advise please in selecting between these two binocular options

Hi,

I am trying to decide between two pairs of binoculars that I have shortlisted for general astronomy use (when we don't setup the Skywatcher Explorer 200P). I want to be able to hand hold them most of the time, I only want to buy one pair and have them last a long time and remain high quality over their lifetime.

I have narrowed down to:

10x50 Opticron Imagic TGA WP Porro Prism

or

10x50 Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II

Both are similar price. Both are probably as good as eachother, but if anyone has preference, I'd be pleased to hear it - both appear to be highly thought of on the forum(s).

Thanks,

Chris

I checked out the specs of both binoculars, and one thing that bothered me slightly is the rather small FOV compared to some other binoculars of similar specs. The listed FOVs are 93 a 87m at 1000m, or some 5.3 and 5.0 deg true field of view. This does not compare that well with my very old Bresser 10x50 at 122m or about 7.0 deg true FOV. This Bresser was in the same price range when I got it (15 years ago), so possibly a different kettle of fish compared to the Lidl versions you get now. Maybe it is not the best of moments when you have narrowed things down for me to come up with this point, but I find binoculars with less than about 65 deg apparent FOV a bit restrictive.

There is a cloudynights review here

Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II - Review

of the Pentax btw (but I suppose you know that one).

I checked out the specs of both binoculars, and one thing that bothered me slightly is the rather small FOV compared to some other binoculars of similar specs...

....but I find binoculars with less than about 65 deg apparent FOV a bit restrictive.

Thanks Michael, good feedback and not something I had considered. Hmm, I'm interested in feedback from others on the FOV - perhaps I should go for less magnification?

Thanks also for the article, I had not seen that one.

Chris

My Bressers are also 10x50 but have a much larger FOV, so you need to find a type with wide-field EPs (Erfle rather than Kelner). Besides, 10x50 gives an exit pupil of 5mm, which is better if you are older than say 35 (which is why I got the 10x50 when I was 33). A 7x50 gives a 7.1mm exit pupil which is a bit large. I checked out these

Teleskop online Shop , TMB, APO , Dobson , Professionelle Teleskope, Kuppeln , Teleskopabdeckungen , Teleskope , Ferngläser , Teleskope online kaufen , APM Telescopes - Verkauf Beratung Herstellung HD 10x50

which are 239 EURO but also have individual focusing (much more stable in my experience than the central focusers I have used), is nitrogen filled and has 6.5 deg FOV. By all accounts they are very good (I am eyeing the 15x70mm).

There probably is a Helios counterpart (for the 15x70 it is the Helios Apollo, I have been told).

Archived