Eyepiece advice.

Hi all, this is my first post on the forum after hours and hours of reading! I recently got myself a skywatcher 200p which comes with the standard 10mm and 25mm eyepieces. After already having some decent views of Saturn and Jupiter and last night getting a glimpse of Orion, I'm now looking to buy some decent eyepieces. I'm looking at a 7mm baadar plossl for planetary viewing, does anyone have experience of this combination? All other opinions and ideas are welcome, cheers!

Hi all, this is my first post on the forum after hours and hours of reading! I recently got myself a skywatcher 200p which comes with the standard 10mm and 25mm eyepieces. After already having some decent views of Saturn and Jupiter and last night getting a glimpse of Orion, I'm now looking to buy some decent eyepieces. I'm looking at a 7mm baadar plossl for planetary viewing, does anyone have experience of this combination? All other opinions and ideas are welcome, cheers!

Hi - welcome to SGL !

You probably mean the Baader Genuine Ortho (they don't do plossls as far as I know !) in which case they are excellent eyepieces - probably about the best there is for planetary / lunar /double star viewing, unless you want to invest very large amounts of cash.

It would work very well in your scope but be aware that the Ortho (orthoscopic) design has a slightly narrower field of view and quite tight eye relief (the distance your eye needs to be from the top lens) which some are not too keen on - no good if you need to wear glasses when viewing !

An alternative in the sub-£100 price bracket would be the Baader Hyperion which have a wider field of view and more comfortable eye relief but are not quite as sharp as the orthos. There are 8mm and 5mm Hyperions but no 7mm.

I agree with John here, your scope is nearly F6 so I would suggest the Baader Hyperions as well, secondhand I've seen them go for £60 each.

I have had the 21, 17, and 8mm ones and they are very good indeed, showed a few defects in a fast F4.5 but in your scope should be very good.

What superb taste you have in telescopes :eek:

The first eyepiece I bought to add to my collection was a 32mm plossl. I know it's not what you're after but it gives lovely widefield views from the 200P. Mine is a GSO which cost me £34 - bargain!

Mind you I've since expanded my collection of plossls, and recently bought a 13mm Hyperion which I'm waiting to try. I may well try a BGO at some point in the future :)

Archived