Re: Hello all.....

hi i wonder if you could help me. I have just bought a 130eq celestron telescope. I have two problems with the telescope that i cannot sort out. Firstly my 10mm lens shows everything upside down where as my 20mm lens is ok. Secondly when i look through the lens, the telescope reflects back the cross from inside obscurring my view. I have just startd out and am not very clued up to some of these issues. :eek:

Welcome.

Firstly, so you know, we normally refer to the "lenses" as eyepieces. The reason is that each eyepiece contains within it multiple lenses. The telescope's image will be inverted through all eyepieces. The 20 mm and 10 mm will be have the same in this regard.

Seeing the "cross" indicates that you haven't focused on your target.

welcome to the site, firstly don't worry about being clued up knowledge is something we get through experience and research, this site is a good place to come for knowledge. As has been pointed out astronomical telescopes always show an upside down image so that is nothing to worry about. and the cross that you see (we call it the spider) is as has been said a result of not focussing . again welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy your new scope and hobby.

Hi the reason for the differences with your eyepieces is the 20mm is an erecting one which means the image is the correct way up and the 10mm is a normal one which means the image will be upside down, this is normal fo a newtonion.

hope this helps

John

I'm a newbie who received a Celestron 130EQ for Christmas and I pretty much had the same issues. It took a little bit of going through these forum posts to find that the 10mm eyepiece will make things look upside down (took ages to find the Moon on Christmas Day because of this (the 'finder' attachment isn't to great)).

What I found worked for me is to use the 20mm eyepiece (which shows things the 'right' way up) first as it gives you a wider view of the sky to find to larger parts points of interest (adjusting the focuser as you go until everything is in focus), then swap it for the 10mm (quickly so you don't lose the target - you'll probably need to tweak the focuser again).

Hope that helps.

Richard

Archived