Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope comparison - Nexstar 5i, 6se and 8se

I have a Nexstar 5i having sold an 8i many years ago to try and strike a balance between portability and aperture!

I'm still missing bright views of M13 for example and am thinking of changing. Ideally I'd like to do a side by side comparison between the 3 in terms of the views each delivers before splashing out.

Although the 6 may be a good balance I'm concerned it will be too close to the 5 and will still disappoint?

I'm based in Ipswich and was hoping someone could suggest a star party or similar so I could see the 6 in action?

Experiences/comments of the 6 compared with the 5 would also be welcomed noting it's for visual use only, planetary and globulars the main targets!

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have owned many maks and SCT's of different sizes and think i have found the best portable set up now with the 6SE

The mount is the big difference between the 5 and the 6, the SE mount easyily handles the scope.

Optically i would be in no rush to change from a 5SE to a 6SE I have never used a 5" SCT but have used plenty of 5" maks. I am based in Cambridge and often go to a group meeting in ST Neots and would be happy to meet and show you the 6SE i have.

The 6SE is still quite portable.

I tend to keep two scopes, one for travelling and a larger one for use at home

Thanks. I have the 5i which has the same mount as the 6and 8 se, only real difference is that the ota is fixed on the older i series. Ultimately the upgrade would be for improved views.

Thanks for the info in relation to Cambridge, I'm based in Ipswich so it's probably a touch too far but if I'm in the area.

Archived