New to the hobby

heath 66

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to thank every one for the warm reception, and the advice i was given on magnification, i would ask can someone answer my other querry. Does an 8-10" reflector at say x100 magnification, give a better quality image than a 6" of the same quality at the same magnification.

(In addition to the good advice given so far) At 100X you should see a finer more detailed image in an 8" than a 6" of equal quality, plus the image will be brighter and more stars will be visible in the larger scope, because the 8" will show stars too faint for the 6" to show.

If you are looking at a close double star you should see more black space between the two plus each star will look slightly smaller in an 8", a bit like watching High definition television as opposed to normal - the number of dots making up the image is greater.(although you might not notice these differences with bright stars as their light tends to smear a little).

Planets may actually look fuzzier in a larger telescope compared with a smaller one at low magnifications because of this smearing effect, the increased detail of larger apertures only being noticeable at medium to high powers.

Archived