Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie and a CG5 GT

A few lines on my initial issues with the CG5 if it helps someone else who may be in the same boat

Having purchased a second hand Skymax 150 on an EQ3-2 it became apparent immediately that the mount was not up to the task. Just looking at it the wrong way and it started to shake and having no drives, touching the hand controls sent the image into a merry dance. With this in mind I bought a second hand CG5-GT.

First impressions were that the build of the tripod and head were much more substantial and felt rock solid. A huge difference

First light and the usual newbie mistake, got the LAT and LONG the wrong way round. Now I know very little about the night sky but even I know that the very bright object off to the South West is Jupiter and not somewhere through the ground where my scope was pointing. Checked my settings, kicked myself and went to align again. Noted that the alignment star was nowhere near where the scope was pointing. The clouds rolled in so stopped at that point.

Asked the kind people of the lounge where I was going wrong. Immediate response was either power (Using a 20AH battery so didn't think it was that) or I was in Daylight saving mode. Now reading daylight saving I would automatically assume it was Winter time but obviously not.

Out again, Chose normal and not daylight saving, first alignment star was in my field of view but not centred. Adjusted the mount and hit align then off to the next star. Again it was in the finder and after adjusting and getting it centred in the scope decided to see where the mount would take me. Chose M42. Again it was in the finder and needed adjusted but definately an improvement. Again in came the clouds so called it a night.

On asking the initial question to the forum, a response had been to choose a couple of calibration stars after alignment as this made a big difference so my last time I setup, this is what I did. After 2 star alignment and 2 calibration stars, the mount calibrated itself and for the rest of the night was almost spot on with anything I chose.

Newbie conclusions:

Make sure you get your lat and long the right way round.

Understand what daylight saving actually means!

With a CG5 after aligning do at least one calibration star but the more the better.

Most importantly of all - ask. Being on my own, no matter how many books and articles I read, actual practical experience doesn't always go as you see it in your head. This forum has helped me choose equipment, polar align and now setup of GOTO. To all who have helped me so far, thankyou.

Neil

[

Newbie conclusions:

Make sure you get your lat and long the right way round.

Understand what daylight saving actually means!

With a CG5 after aligning do at least one calibration star but the more the better.

Most importantly of all - ask. Being on my own, no matter how many books and articles I read, actual practical experience doesn't always go as you see it in your head. This forum has helped me choose equipment, polar align and now setup of GOTO. To all who have helped me so far, thankyou.

Neil

I know just what you mean about reading books, you can read till your blue in the face but its just not the same as having some one who has actually done the task to guide you through it.

Archived