NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filters and webcams/DSLR

Kerrp30

Hello,

I have 3 filters and have never used them. I am new to imaging and I am going to target the moon to start with as its close and should allow me to focus. The planets can wait till I get good with the moon.

The filters I have are the UV/IR block filter by baader, the contrast booster by badder and the UHC-S nebula filter.

I have the following questions

1. The UV/IR filter will it cut out light pollution?

2. The contrast booster do I need this for moon pics? or am I best just leaving the filter out for CCD and DSLR pictures.

3. Can you use the UV/IR and contrast filter together.

4. The UHC will be used for nebula/DSO is this okay for M42 etc?

Would I use the UHC with the other two filters?

Any other filters that I need. What about light pollution or does the UV ir filter take care of this.

Is the UV Ir filter a direct replacement for the NEOdymium filter or do I need that one as well for light pollution?

Also anyone got any captures that I could download to practise with registax if it gets cloudy(which it is)

Thanks

Paul

for imaging the moon you don't need any filters as it is very bright and the details are easily visible and you don't need to capture any color as you see it gray (actually there is color on the moon but you can reveal it more easy with a help of a dslr and photoshop or iris again without any filters). for the planets you should use the uv/ir cut filter in order to reveal better color details. keep in mind that if you combine filters you loose details from your targets so you should keep at 1 filter at a time (thus the use of a filter wheel) in your case the only filters i would use are definitely are the uv/ir cut for planetary imaging and the uhc filter for the dslr camera for deep sky imaging only at light polluted skies

Archived