Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

[Video] Imaging Back End for Skymax MAK (150)

Macavity

Since it has been something of an "exercise" (In identifying compatible hardware!):

Here's my mid-cost(?) approach to VIDEO imaging with my (pre-existing) MAK150. :hello2:

PhotoBack1.jpg

Of course, as is often observed, a MAK may not be the ideal tool for DSO imaging! But "beggars can't be choosers"? The most obvious limitation would be in the inherent SLOW [F12] nature of this scope, and a somewhat limited field. A working focal reducer is needed... :D

Unfortunately, standard / commercial solutions to focal reducing are none too forthcoming? Celestron / Meade reducers are also "field flatteners" and doubtless specific to F10 SCTs! Having had some past success with the ATIK 1.25" 0.5x reducer, I stuck one on a C-type 30mm camera nose-piece. However the ATKIK has a focal length of ~80mm, so only gave about 0.6x reduction and was already pushing the Watec, out from the Borg focusser, with attendant "leverage" problems re. focussing smoothness.

I then found the C-type "Opticstar" 0.5x reducer. This screwed directly into the camera body, but still only gave about 0.7x reduction. :) Nevertheless, this seemed a step in the right direction, having a shorter (60mm) focal length, than the ATIK. So... I transfered the (plano-convex achromat) lens to from the Opticstar housing, to the END of the (Modern Astronomy) "long" C-type nosepiece:

PhotoBack2.jpg

This neatly fits within the Borg, and gave the DESIRED 0.5x reduction with a (theoretically!) larger un-vingnetted imaging circle. I sense, if I can find a shorter (<60mm) achromat of the right size, I may even be able to achieve greater (un-vignetted) reductions. :hello2:

N.B. I'm not claiming high-precision, sharp-to-the-edge, WIDE field imaging. <G> But, for a large pixel, 1/2" video chip, first impressions are positive. With many DSO's being tantalisingly and previously close to interactive VIDEO viewing limit, with the 6" F12 setup, the extra 1.5(?) magnitudes (at F6!) may make an unconventional solution rather interesting. :p

P.S. Curse this "imaging lark", I said I'd never get involved... :hello2:

Archived