NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomy case

I'm wondering how best to store and move all my astronomy equipment. Initially, I used one of the white boxes I got with the telescope, and put my books and charts and the box into a plastic bag. But since I've added to my collection, and it was anyway very inconvenient. So I'm trying to find a decent, dividable box that will hold a pair of 10x50 binos, an SLR camera, EPs, A4 books and other small accessories. A strap to attach my kneeling cushion (no wider than A4's width, 5cm thick) to the box would be useful.

Any ideas? A briefcase would actually be quite ideal.

How do you all do it anyway?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I bought a metal tool box from B&Q. They come in various sizes.

B&Q website didn't have a picture, but its similar to this one at Tesco - but I don't think I paid that much for it (less than £20 I think)

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-3944.aspx

The dividers are reasonably robust and I added some foam for packing. I bought the larger one and it has the advantage of having an insert for small tools which slots in the top of the case - this is very useful because it allows me to keep my starcharts behind it (ie it acts as a divider!). I use the main part to hold my mini giro mount, my solar binoculars, eyepieces etc. Very useful.

Hope that helps

Helen

That tesco one is just plastic, and rather expensive for a plastic one. I'm looking at aluminium cases on eBay, and have my eye on this one:

http://tinyurl.com/ssatp

Andrew

No Andrew, it's not just plastic - it's aluminum framed plastic panels and not at all bad for what it costs. Draper stuff is usually well made and durable - I can understand why Helen chose it. Why not pop into your local B&Q or Tesco and have a look at it at least.

John

• 2 weeks later...

That's just what I read from the Tesco website (I don't know why it says "durable plastic" when it's really aluminium), but I did go into B&Q. They didn't have any in stock, but when I went in a few days later, I found exactly what I wanted for £16.98. It looks just like that one on the Tesco website. I used it tonight and it fits my requirements perfectly. I've got everything I need/have (!) in there with plenty of room for more. The big binos slip in there no problem cosy next to my SLR and lens! I don't know if I've ever made a better purchase! Thanks guys! :thumbright: I would recommend this for storing photography or astronomy equipment or anything for that matter to anyone. And it looks wonderfully smart!

Andrew

Archived