NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

useful iphone apps?

hi

was reading the astronomy mags earlier in sainsburys ;-) and saw a reveiw of some iphone apps. think i've seen mention of one or two in some threads on here.

any of them really worth having? i have a goto scope.

my iphone is two generations behind - a 3G version - not the S.

so does that mean i HAVE to get a new iphone 4 ?! for xmas please!

the 3g problem (iv got a 3g and a iphone 4) the 3g dosent have a gyroscope (rotation around its self) so when you turn it turns the map in a augmented reality sort of way

it dosent have a compus so you may need to find either polaris or get a map compus

a lot of the apps need both of these to work (but u can always manually move it but itm ay not be as finder scopeish as if u had both of the 2 mentioned fetures

i got a thread kicking around, one i asked the same question on i'll go look see if i can find it

but it may be better to get the 4...... as the 3g is also a lot slower (a 450mhz - iphone 4's 1ghz+ accelerated processer

I have SkySafari, Star Walk and Pocket Universe on my iPhone 4. They are all very cheap and are slightly different (although there is a lot of overlap). Best of the crop is SkySafari - because it can control a goto scope. Southern Stars • Products • SkySafari via their SkyFi WIFI-Serial adapter. I had to order mine from the States as their English distributor didn't have any. It only took a week to arrive and I got it for the Dollar price instead of the Pound (same) price. It plugs into my NextStar 6se and I just have to touch the object I want to view on my iPhone screen and the scope slews round to it. Great! It will also work with an iPad but I'm waiting for the iPad 2 in the Spring.

Archived