Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mounting mini-dob on eq mount

Lux1

I have bought a nice early 1960/1970s Japanese gem mount. It has silky smooth controls and is comparable to an eq2 mount if not better built. My ota of the 130p is about 2kilos, the counterweight is 1.3kgs. Do I have to add more weight to the alongside the counter-weight to match the weight of the ota?

I am waiting for it to come in the post, I brought of (astro buy and sell uk, not sure on forum rules on mentioning other sites?)

However, could it be motor driven,- it has large hand-wheels to manually track, and do all gems operate on a 1 rpm motor? I am a heating engineer and fit 5rpm motors into zone valves, I was thinking of adding a varible resistor to slow the a.c motor to about 1 r p m.

Help or advice please?

You will need to supply the model and any other information in order for anything close to an accurate answer. There are motors for EQ2 mounts and they may be suitable, but a lot will depend on the casing.

Beside the specification, if you could post a picture or two then people may be able to say if it looks the same as an EQ2 or whatever and so offer information.

Sounds like it is a good mount and I hope you get sorted with respect to motors.

The weights you have should be OK. You move them up and down the bar in order to achieve balance so you have the effect of leverage on your side so will not need weights that equal the OTA. Should be able to use just a small amount of weight to get a balance.

The RA axis moves 10mins in one turn. I think it would require a motor running at 0.1 rpm to track, would that seem right, (144 turns for a complete revolution.)

However most motors are 1rpm or higher, I am thinking of a stepper motor, any ideas?

Not shown is the counter-weight.

No details seller just said comparable to an eq2 an about 1970, also made in Japan.

post-20202-133877512375_thumb.jpg

post-20202-133877512384_thumb.jpg

The ota of my scope weighs 2.4 kilo and the counterweight is 1.4 and at the end of it's short bar. Can I extend the bar or add more weight? Or is 5 kilos too much weight for an eq2 type mount?

Archived