SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

William Optics Red Dot Finder

Hello Chaps :D

I was wondering does anyone have one of the above? I was setting up my new FLT 110 today and had gone for this rather than a conventional finder but what a carry on I had trying to figure out how it went together and where it went on the OTA I eventually worked out that underneath one of thegreen paper dots on the OTA was a screw hole that seemed to fit (gawd I will get such a slagging if I'm wrong).

There wasn't any instructions with it so it was a lot of trial and error by looking at photos of it :) what I want to know is how do you align it with the main telescope I ran out of time during the day to try and align it with something but to be honest I'm not really sure what to do and how to adjust it like the a conventional finderscope where you adjust the screws.

ButI did manage to get a quick look through the scope and was very impressed the conditions weren't the best Jupiter was a bit 'fizzy' but the few seconds that the seeing steadied up I was amazed at the detail I did primarily buy it as a photographic instrument but visually it hasn't disappointed so I'm really chuffed there was a slight colour fringing around Jupiter when it

was jumping about but I'm fairly sure that was to do with the seeing.

Any help with the Finder or any other comments about the scope would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn

Align your RDF and scope in daylight. Choose an object a couple of miles away like a pylon top or apex of a church steeple - the further the better.

Get the object in the center of the OTA through a 20mm ep then use the finders up/down and L/R adjusters to get the red dot bang on to what you see centre of ep.

You can refine it a bit more using a 15mm or 10mm assuming you can focus ok. I usually refine mine on a planet at night or a bright star.

Use the smallest dot that the RDF will give you for greater accuracy. So long as the dot is on the central object then you know the tube is in line.

Cheers and good luck :)

On top (behind the reticle on/off switch) there's a hex headed screw labelled "Up", and on the left hand side about the same place is another one labelled "R". These are the rdf adjustment screws :)

If you can't find them then post a piccy and I'll find where they are for you.

Hi

Just as a matter of interest did you get instructions with yours?

Ie how to put it together/adjust it etc I bought it separate with the scope and it just came in a small plain brown box with a WO guarantee inside but nothing else and there's nothing in the manual for the scope about these finders just the normal ones also I have to say with regards to fitting it it didn't seem that clear either as there are so many little screws on the front around the focused if I hadn't had a 'wonder what those green sticky dots are covering' moment I'd still be scratching my head incredibly puzzled, actually I'm assuming I have got it mounted in the right spot, yes, there is one of these screw holes on either side is that so you can mount the finder left or right.

sorry about all the questions this is a new scope to me and it's that thing of being terrified to touch anything in case you break it! :)

I got my scope second hand and the printed manual came with it - I simply looked up the pdf on WO website for you. But it is exactly the same thing.

I've never had an rdf with it's own instruction maual though. They all seem to be similar in principle with up/down and L/R adjusters - I guess one just has to figure out where they are. I wouldn't undo any other screws without knowing exactly what they do - but that's just me lol.

The thing with the WO finder is that, once adjusted it can be removed for storage/travel by turning just one screw on the shoe. It's very accurate and when you put it back on the shoe it should all be still in line - it's a nice bit of kit :)

Sounds like you have the right spot for the shoe.

Archived