Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hotech laser collimator wont fit in drawer tube

It is a basic truth that the more sophisticated astro kit gets the more troublesome it is likely to be. Cue Hotech's fancy push fit adaptors.

Just bought a Hotech 2" push fit adaptor and also their laser collimator. 1st outing has been to try the collimator on my newly acquired 190MN. Locking ring looseed. compression ring in drawer tube fully loosed. The rubber rings on the adapator wont enter the drawer tube, they squirm and twist but wont go in. Took the first one off but the second ring refused in like manner.

I'm having problems. Why am I not surprised?

Anyone else having similar difficulties?

Oh well, out with the artificial star.

It is the 2" I'm using. Yes fully loosened first time but the rubber bands kept popping out of place as soon as they came up against the drawer tube. So then tighted it a little until the bands were snug without being compressed. Made little difference. Compression ring fully loosened. Eventually managed, with a great deal of pushing and tugging to get it most of the way in but couldn't get it to go all the way but all three bands were inside the drawer tube so compressed them. Looked square so did a collimation.

Harder still getting it out again and now the ring for tightening and loosening the tube is screwed hard against the collimator and I can't release it.

When I use mine I totally loosen the focuser tube compression ring (or ep locking screws) - then the hotech slides in easilly and expands to required pressure with no probs. You shouldn't need to lock it in place with the focuser tube screws as it is self centering on it's own :)

They are made to quite a tight fit, but I'm surprised it doesn't go in at all. Not meant to be a silly question, but are you just pushing with brute force? If so, just try and "wiggle" it in, as the rubber is pretty grippy.

Might be that you've got an oversize one...

Have you talked to Steve yet?

Andrew

Now find that the collimator goes in ok but I cant tighten it because I haven't been able to unjam the ring. Also have a new Hotech T2 to 2" push fit adaptor. Tried that and exactly the same problem of getting it into the drawer tube. Silicon lubricant sorted it and now it fits ok.

So, just got to unjam the laser adaptor tightning ring. Hey ho

Archived