SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mosaic Run Planning Software

RustyM

I use EQmosaic mentioned above Rusty its for the EQmod on the EQ6. You basically input the frame width and height in arc mins and the percentage overlap on top/bottom and left/right and you click on a frame to start it and click on next door frame to slew to when finished capturing giving you the overlap you've chosen.

You can save several frame sizes for differnt CCD's FL's combos. I have not used it on the whole moon yet but plan to in a week or two using 25% overlap at 3200mm.

John.

I use EQmosaic mentioned above Rusty its for the EQmod on the EQ6.

Just to be clear, whilst EQMOASIC is one applications provided by the EQMOD Project its use isn't limited to just the EQ6. It is an ASCOM client application and so has the potential to work with an ASCOM telescope driver (as do many of the other EQMOD applications).

EQMOD

Chris.

EQ mosaic sounds good. I do my planning in SkyMap Pro the same way by the sound of things. Can I give you two tips?

1) If at all possible align your camera frame orthogonally with RA and Dec. This way you move painlessly from panel to panel in straight lines and save hours of exasperation! It is SO much easier.

2) On large projects like a 9 panel I did recently you get strange geometric effects that don't show up till the end. You think you have covered the picture area but then you find that curvature has rotated the outlying panels and when you want to crop out a rectangular final image from the whole you may be missing a bit.

Two great bits of software are Registar (expensive) and Microsoft ICE (free.)

Registar handles the geometry brilliantly but ICE makes smoother joints.

Olly

Can I give you two tips?

Tips, criticism, ideas, harsh language, dirty looks, et.al. are always welcome and always appreciated :)

1) If at all possible align your camera frame orthogonally with RA and Dec. This way you move painlessly from panel to panel in straight lines and save hours of exasperation! It is SO much easier.

Excellent tip. Unfortunately, my PosAng is usually governed by guide star position.

2) On large projects like a 9 panel I did recently you get strange geometric effects that don't show up till the end. You think you have covered the picture area but then you find that curvature has rotated the outlying panels and when you want to crop out a rectangular final image from the whole you may be missing a bit.

Ahhh....So always keep an eye on how you want the final framing ?

Two great bits of software are Registar (expensive) and Microsoft ICE (free.)

Registar handles the geometry brilliantly but ICE makes smoother joints.

I was thinking of a DSS image, NASA Sky View or the like, as the reference frame and using the star alignment tools in PixInsight to build each mosaic frame. Sound like a plan ?

Thanks,

Rusty.

Archived