Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hydrogen Alpha: Horsehead and Flame nebulae

Ishtar

I have recently become very interested in narrowband imaging. I currently have a Orion Optics 7nm Hydrogen Alpha and a Baader 8nm OIII filter. I have a baader SII on order :D So soon I can start to image emission nebulae using the Hubble palette. :)

Anyway, on taking advice from some of the seasoned imagers on this forum I have now increased my hydrogen alpha exposure times from 3 minutes to 15 minutes and it really has made a big difference.

This narrowband image of the flame and horse head region was taken using a Atik 314L CCD camera with an 7nm Hydrogen Alpha filter. The scope was a 80mm (F5) achromatic refractor and was guided using Guidemaster software.

The image has been built up from 7 x 15 minute subs, dark-frame and bias-frame corrected and post processed in Photoshop CS5. It was then false coloured using Noels actions.

This image constitutes a "Work in Progress" as more colours channels will be added as soon as possible.

post-20124-133877509179_thumb.jpg

Archived