Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 06-12-2010

chrisrnuttall

Hello

At last the seeing was good, woohoo!

The SEB revival was on the CM around 9pm, so i got the scope out early and left it to freeze for over an hour.

The seeing was very good with only minor boiling of the image, and brief spells where it was almost stationary and sharp.

The main degridation of the image seemed to be from my body heat, so I made every effort to keep it away form the scope.

The air temperature was a rather shocking -12C while I was out, but it was one of the best views I have ever had so I made the most of it.

The SEB revival has grown a lot recently, it runs along the northen edge of the main belt before making a broad crossing to the southern edge. I was able to make out several knots of darker material protruding from its southern edge.

Also the SEB seems to apear more tan coloured to me than it has all year.

The EZ was resplendant with many large white areas divided by grey festoons above the NEB

The NEB was fairly quiet looking with no white rifts visible, just the usual dark and light ovals.

Again I have attached my field sketch and the colour render done later. I have tried new paper for this one, which I think helps make it smoother, but makes erasing more difficult.

CM2 289 degrees

CM1 174 degrees

ALT 26 degrees

post-17454-133877508834_thumb.jpg

post-17454-133877508842_thumb.jpg

That's magnificent Chris. A really crisp capture of the detail that I also saw the following evening on the 7th, including a knot of darker material in the thin SEB edge feature. It's quite something now to see it running along the southern edge of the SEB as a dark line. Gave me goosebumps when the seeing came to me and I realised what I was observing.

You're brave at -12c !! I've done -5c as my coldest for Venus one morning. But you are right in that the cold has brought about some really steady seeing conditions at times.

Archived