NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Attaching my DSLR Advice please!

jasondh

Can someone help me by telling me what I need exactly to attach my DSLR to my scope?

I have a Nikon D300s and 10" Dob scope as below.

I'm confused if I need a combination of bits or just a single adapter.

Help would be most appreciated.

You will need an Adaptor for the camera, and you may also find that you cannot reach focus. No doubt there will be someone along who can advise you on this.

I currently have the Skyliner 250px solid tube, had to fit a new focuser to get the backfocus needed to use with a dslr, only problem with that was that i then needed an extension to use eyepieces.

First light optics would be the best bet, give them a call tomorrow or check on their site and they can advise you of the adapter you require and also if or not you will be able to gain focus.

I don't use and eyepiece with the DSLR, I mount the DSLR directly into the focuser using an adapter from FLO. Then use the focusing knobs on the telescopes focuser to attain focus, but as said, this was not possible without either moving the mirror up the tube or changing the focuser, in my case.

What I was saying, was that if you modify the tube, i.e, replace focuser or move mirror up the tube, you will not be able to achieve focus with an eyepiece for just observing, unless you use and extension.

If you are using the camera, you won't need the extension.

As said, much of this is speculation until you work out if you can get focus without modding the OTA.

You need:

1) A T-ring specific to your camera brand

2) A T-ring to 2" (or 1.25") nosepeice

To attach a camera to a refractor, which normally has a diagonal in the light path, you often have to use extension tubing to get focus. Conversely, to attach a camera to a Newtonian, you usually need to make the light path as short as possible - in some cases, the path is still too long so you have to fiddle with the mirror or buy a low profile focuser.

You can buy (1) & (2) combined for some models of camera - this may reduce the light path slightly, and that may be important if you have a Newtonian.

Archived