Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another webcam "my first jupiter"

WayBig

I finally got to use my webcam on thursday, with worse than rubbish seeing and clouds blowing over.

I've just run it through registax, using all the default settings and here's the result.

I was surprised by how narrow the field of view of the webcam is, this was taken in the scope without a barlow, if I used my x2 barlow I couldnt keep the image on the screen for long enough to record. I used sharpcap at 10 frames per second. I was pleased with the amount of colour that showed on the laptop at the time.

I can just make out the shadow of Io on it. Viewing using an eyepiece this was very prominent

Questions:

1) I used a 2min avi file - was this too long, should I have instead captured several shorter films (this one included a few clouds blowing over and obscuring the view for a few seconds at a time)

2) What cool things can be done in registaxx, ie excluding the rubbish frames and sharpening the image (I couldnt fathom out the wavelet settings)

Jupiter_24-11-10.bmp

They say webcam usage is easy, but what works well one day doesn't work well another day. On a 2 minute avi at 10 frames per second, that's about the number of exposures you'll need although I've had success with half that. Gain settings and the rest can be experimented with and polishing the image in photoshop helps if you have that. Try 5 and 15 frames per sec too - there's a lot of advice about this stuff on SGL, but I find that whilst well intended, your local conditions can affect almost everything.

As for Registax, play around with the sliders a bit more but be careful not to sharpen it too strongly. It can be very frustrating!

As for the barlow, I know things move off screen quickly, but it may be worth a pop to see what you get. It's taken me ages to get any decent shots but I keep experimenting. Have another crack at it and take several avis, plus keep all the master copies to play around with in Registax while the very low temperatures are upon us.

Archived