NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 60D or Canon 550D???

I was almost ready to order my new Canon 60D and I decided to have a quick look at the Canon compare website and just pop the two cameras up against each other for one more look.

There really isnt too much in it, higher burst rate, creative filters, dust and water proof body to name just a few.

I've found somewhere I can get the body only for the following prices, 60D is £630 delivered and the 550D is £473 delivered.

Has anybody else been looking at getting either of these two 18mp cameras and made a choice between them, it would be nice to here others thoughts on this.

I will be using it for astro use on my AstroTrac but I will be using it for regular photography aswell as I have a modded 300D.

Cheers.

I have never use either camera, but I just want to make two comment.

Canon 60D has a top panel BW LCD, so you should be able to see the most of the camera's setting without having the main LCD blinding everyone. Also, that swivel LCD screen on the 60D may allow you to use liveview to focus at a more comfortable angle.

Just my ha'pence worth. I recently bought a Nikon D7000, which is a fantastic camera and I've had some pretty good astro images with it also. However, shooting raw produces 17Mb files that are all but useless in the astro imaging software. Try stacking 20 of those and you'll see what I mean. I always have to convert them to smaller sized tifs before I start.

So, I've bought a 'new refurbed' 1000D off eBay and sent it off to Andy for filter removal. Total cost approx £365. It would have been £40 more for addition of the filter that allows normal photography also. Now I won't be so concerned at damaging the Nikon, and will get more usable images to boot.

David

Just my ha'pence worth. I recently bought a Nikon D7000, which is a fantastic camera and I've had some pretty good astro images with it also. However, shooting raw produces 17Mb files that are all but useless in the astro imaging software. Try stacking 20 of those and you'll see what I mean. I always have to convert them to smaller sized tifs before I start.

So, I've bought a 'new refurbed' 1000D off eBay and sent it off to Andy for filter removal. Total cost approx £365. It would have been £40 more for addition of the filter that allows normal photography also. Now I won't be so concerned at damaging the Nikon, and will get more usable images to boot.

David

Imo, the computer plays a significant role in the capture and processing of astro images. Compromising on the camera and data files because the computer isn't powerful enough seems a very good reason to upgrade the computer rather than buy a lower spec camera. The last sequence I shot was a star trail image containing 2016 full frame raw files on a 5D MkII, yes it took a long time to process but imo it was time well spent after shooting the star trail for 6 hours.

I am currently running a 64bit Win7 with 4gig at the moment, wouldnt take much to drop another 4 in though. I am in the process of putting an i7 system together which will be exclusive for running CS5 and anything else thats needed. I've not read into it but I hope the 64bit version of CS5 makes use of mulitple processors.

It is a very important point but I assumed that as they are both the same sensor with the same processor wont the raw file be the same size on both cameras?

No sorry Simon I meant it was a good point about the size of "A" file from either cam when using something like DSS on a system with small RAM and 32-bit processing-generally. It hadn't occurred to me until dlp mentioned it- be a bit of a bummer if you'd bought all that nice kit then could'nt effectively process your pics :)

With you now Karlo, yes I totally agree with you. I'm as much a computer geek as anything else and always try to stay current. It would have been a right pig if all I had was a dual core T3000 1gig ram laptop with 32bit Vista on it.....lol.

I would have been throwing it out of the window.

So now we all now I'm reasonably covered on the processing front, which camera???? Its doin' me 'ead in!!! :)

Your the 2nd person that has told me abouyt having "smokers cash". I'm getting a bit fed up with hearing that :D I might smoke 100 in one day just so I can quit and save £200 a week for astro purchases as a reward :)

Good on ya for quiting though mate. I know how hard it is.

That is the problem though, they are really minimal upgrades, those built in creative filters are things that can be done within PS, I dont do sport or nature photography so the 5.3fps burst rate is of little use. I'm sure I'll never notice that the center point of the AF system focuses at f2.8 on the 60D and only F5.6 on the 550.....its a good saving though of £170. The only upgrade that seems really worth the nod is the fact that the 60D is water and dust repelant.

Thats it, I think my mind is made up. A 550D with a Kendrick body sock......

Archived