NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

off axis help....

I need an off axis guider for my skywacher 300pds, any tips as to which is the best to use? (will be used in conjunction with a coma corrector) I know that backfocus is an issue with oag's and newtonians, so am looking for people with some experience imaging in this way. At the moment i am looking at the orion deluxe oag and the TSOAG9EOS. your thoughts please :)

I have been looking at the same type of set-up but on a SW 150PDS with a baader coma corrector and have tried to ascertain the best set-up so interested in any feed back you get.

From looking around I found that the Baader OAG has been set-up specifically to use with the baader RCC1 and I couldn't find out if it would work on the one I have (baader MPCC) so that didn't help and then saw the Lacerta OAG which is low profile and works especially for canon DSLR and the Baader MPCC.

I had a look at this when I was having a go at imaging with my 300P on my NEQ6, in the end I gave up as the weight of everything was too much and the slightest bit of breeze sent the scope into a right old wobble frenzy.

The other option could be to use a finder/guider and mount it on the finder scope shoe. I hope you find a way of making the 300PDS a viable imaging scope but it was just too much for me.

If your using the NEQ6 Pro Synscan, then you already have 4 counterweights on an extension. If you add another 4KG to the scope side I doubt very much that you would be able to balance it at all. I struggled with just my 1000D and a 50mm extension tube let alone adding all the other bits and pieces.

Its not really designed for imaging as the mount is on the limit regarding load capacity. Come down to the 200PDS and you'll have a fighting chance.

They must have really got the weight down on the PDS version then, the fourth counterweight on my setup is 5kg so you might be able to make it work.

If your in a really sheltered position and free from the elements then it could work.

I managed lunar shots with it no problem but never really managed to pull off a DSO shot due to no guiding but then my older 300P needed 4 counterweights and the extension bar.

If you do give it a go good luck and I hope you can get it to work.

If you need advice on OAG's Merlin66 is the man you need to speak to.

Archived