Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pitfalls using a finderguider?

Following a suggestion by Glider, I'm toying with the idea of trying out my standard Skywatcher 9x50 finderscope as a guidescope on my existing mount, using the QHY5 and the adapter from Modern Astronomy (Accessories @ Modern Astronomy).

Are there any pitfalls, problems or drawbacks you guys may have run into while using a finderguider? Forewarned is forearmed, and all that :).

Thanks

I used a finder/guider and the chap I bought it from used it for 2 years with no problems whatsoever.

Lightweight with a good wide view, you should rarely struggle for a guidestar.

The only drawback for me was the QHY5 needed something to stop the USB cable working loose, other than that I would happily use one all the time.

In fact I'm planning on making another one soon to use with my AstroTrac.

another problem you might face is flexure from the mounting the finder has. it uses one screw with a spring and it also has an o-ring to make it stable at the mounting. both of these are prone to serious flexure and i made my own guide rings from aluminium rings and screwed them on an aluminum bar that is piggibacked at the main OTA. also because the mounting is long it is prone to vibrations from wind. finally in order to be able to focus with no problems you should reverse the locking ring of the lens of the finderscope

Archived