NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nexstar 4SE

What don't you like about the Nexstar's finder? Is it the build quality, the brightness of the red dot, or the whole red dot finder system?

The Nexstar SE's RDF uses a rather thin rail, which may not be compatible with too many accessories. I am not sure about the mount on the Nexstar 4, but the Nexstar 6's RDF base can be removed (2 screws) and replaced with a SCT finder dovetail clamp (around £15), from which allow you to mount skywatcher and Orion RDF and finderscope.

If you don't mind using another mount, then a Telrad finder may be a good option too.

Personally I don't use the finder when I use my Nexstar SE, other than for initial alignment. After that the GOTO seems to be accurate enough to put most object inside the field of view of my 25mm eyepiece.

I have the 4SE's big brother and I went through the same procedure when could not get on with the rdf either. However, finding anything that was compatible was a nightmare and I eventually settled on using a wixey to align the scope and use the GOTO to find objects thereafter. If you are into star-hopping, I suspect you will be limited to those mounts which can be 'stuck on' the OTA, like the green laser pointer from Skies'n'scopes.

What don't you like about the Nexstar's finder? Is it the build quality, the brightness of the red dot, or the whole red dot finder system?
Yes I find it plasticky and a generally pretty naff build quality.

In addition mine has developed a fault where a new battery will last no longer than a couple of hours.

Anyway I want something new and shiny from my bonus. :)

Anymore suggestions?

Thanks

Archived