Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Startravel 102 or 120 on a AZ3 mount

hello everyone, I hope some ST102 and ST120 owners out there can give their opinions of using their scopes on the AZ3 mount. Is the scope too heavy, wobble or maybe have a problem with balance?

I'm new to all this so this would be my first scope, I hope to see a bit of everything, esp some DSO's.

I wear glasses, are the EP's ok for this? I've read that long eye relief is best but is it necessary?

Could you also give me a rough idea of what it all weighs please?

These both look like terrific scopes for a newbie, many thanks in advance for your trouble.

I have a 120ST and have had a 102ST and they are great when used as per their intended purpose- low power, widefield views of starfields and DSO. they are a bit of a one trick pony and not much cop on planets or anything requiring medium to high powers. Both scopes are fine on an AZ3 but the 120 is on its limit really. If it was my choice between these two scopes, i'd opt for the extra aperature of the 120ST but on an AZ4 or vixen portamount instead.

I wear glasses while observing, but know a lot of spec wearers simply remove them. if you are like me and prefer to observe with glasses on, then yes, long eye relief is essential.

Stephen

Archived