this any good

looking to get a cheep scope for my 5 year old son for christmas. i no nothing about them at all. do you guys think this kind is any good INFINITY-76P Sky-Watcher for £30 and what are we likely to see? or do you have any other ideas?

cheers

dave

At a guess i would say the moon would like ok with that one, it should give him lots of fun and very easy to use out of the box.

You could also look at the Heritage-76, a little Dobsonian, this would be a great starter scope for a child (maybe 5 is to young for this one) as it will give them an understanding of using a finderscope and different eyepieces, but as your son is only 5 your choice is a good one.

Lidl are doing the bresser 70mm refractor on an alt az mount for £39.99 from 22/11/2010. The eyepieces won,t be great but are easily upgradeable later if he keeps an intrest. Also being a refractor it looks like a real telescope, and no mirrors to adjust.

John

Archived