What next? advice needed.

Hey all, I have some probably basic questions about where to head next. Seeing as christmas is around the corner and the wife is bugging me for things I want I figure I'll write a few astro things down for her to choose from and then I can pick up other bits later.

Basically at the moment I have a Skywatcher Explorer 150PL on a EQ-3-2 mount and my Canon 20D with Tring and adaptors. Will the mount be good enough to at least get me started and give me an idea of what I need to do?.

I definitely want to be able to do tracking and start imaging DSO but am unsure on all the components I will need. I'm guessing something like a synscan is needed but what else will i need if I get one?

I will probably need a motor and a power source I'm guessing

maybe a heap of cables too. Is there a complete kit you can buy? What is the difference between a single and a dual axis drive? Do I need a laptop as well to run that?

Basically you know what it's like when you get a gift you really can't wait to use but it doesn't have any batteries, I wan't to try an avoid that.

And since I mentioned laptops I want to try webcam imaging for the planets/moon/sun as well, I have an old secondhand laptop I have switched on a couple of times but never use because the battery is rubbish and not sure if it would be suitable anyway.

But I guess getting the tracking sorted first is the main priority.

Anyway sorry for the silly questions.

Thanks.

Jarrod.

To track you only need motors, two are preferable to one, cost is so close it really is sensible to get two as a package. The motors will track but also make it easier for you to move the scope from one object to another.

The 150PL on an EQ3-2 is probably pushing your luck a bit, think the EQ3-2 will take 5Kg and for imaging they say use half the max weight so that the mount is within its limits. But that is what you have so use it.

For imaging you will have to accurately align the mount, what is OK for visual is inadaquate for imaging. Polar scope isn't mentioned but I assume you have one.

If you add the DSLR on then also rebalance the scope on the mount. Better balance makes less strain on the motors and mount.

The motors for the EQ3-2 and the EQ5 are the same I believe so they should have the torque/power necessary but the mount is a little light and so more unstable.

Really you will just have to get going at it all. Orion is up so that is a relitively big, bright and so easy DSO to start on.

You will have to look at stacking at some time, so look for the free options Registax is the normal although have seen another mentioned recently.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was thinking the motor was seperate from tracking and you needed the Syscan to guide it.

Yeah, I do have a polar scope, I had a crack once at aligning everything when I first got my scope but haven't tried since.

I definitely will be trying out FLO as my last order from another place was a bit struggle and I hear nothing but great feedback about FLO.

At least now I have something to show the wife and it's not as expensive as I was figuring.

Thanks again:)

And since I mentioned laptops I want to try webcam imaging for the planets/moon/sun as well, I have an old secondhand laptop I have switched on a couple of times but never use because the battery is rubbish and not sure if it would be suitable anyway.

Jarrod,

what is the cpu of the laptop?

There are places to buy new laptop batteries, look at ebay. I have just picked up a brand new 4400mAh replacement battery for £22 all in. Besides PC World (it's an own brand Advent PC World laptop) wants £85 and then it's only a 2200mAh. So for a quater of the price I get double the battery time which now gives me 2 and half hours.

The specs are

AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile TL-52 @ 1.6 GHz (dual core)

15.4-inch Ultrabright™ WXGA TFT (1280 × 800)

2048 MB 533 MHz DDR2 (2 × 1024) RAM

ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 Graphics

DVD+/-RW Multi-Format Double Layer (up to 8.5 GB)

160 GB 5400 RPM PATA hard drive

Windows Vista Home Premium

It's a bit old now though, when it's on for a period of time it really heats up and the charge is short. Because it's second hand I figure I'd be best to take it for a check up to see if it has any major problems, but if it's just a new battery it needs then I should be OK.

£22 seems like a good get, I will do some investigating.

The specs are

AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile TL-52 @ 1.6 GHz (dual core)

15.4-inch Ultrabright™ WXGA TFT (1280 × 800)

2048 MB 533 MHz DDR2 (2 × 1024) RAM

ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 Graphics

DVD+/-RW Multi-Format Double Layer (up to 8.5 GB)

160 GB 5400 RPM PATA hard drive

Windows Vista Home Premium

It's a bit old now though, when it's on for a period of time it really heats up and the charge is short. Because it's second hand I figure I'd be best to take it for a check up to see if it has any major problems, but if it's just a new battery it needs then I should be OK.

£22 seems like a good get, I will do some investigating.

Sound like a smart little lappy and it will cope with recording AVi's etc off webcam easily.

My normal usage laptop is a Advent K200, had it since new approx 4 years ago and it does heat up quite a lot. I run SETI/Milkyway on it when it's not in use which is why it heats up as the CPU is maxed out but I have built a little raised laptop base which has an old CPU fan fitted inside and when it gets hot I flick the switch and it blows air right into the laptop inlets and cools it down and during the summer it get really hot as I use the laptop in my conservatory but I just have a small desktop fan on 24hrs to cool it down. I know it cost a bit of electricity to run the desktop fan but it's cheaper in the short term than buying a desktop PC which can handle the CPU load as it has better heat conduction and cooling.

Have you tried putting the hover on blow (or air compressor) and blow out the dust and crud from the cooling vents on the laptop, just could be a dust issue.

Don't go to PC World for a check up it cost a lot of money, you could nearly but a new laptop for the checkup charge.

I would get a new battery and get a bigger mAh that can be fitted. I got mine from eBay of some china company

Uright-You're right Laptop Battery items - Get great deals on United Kingdom, Germany items on eBay.co.uk Shops!

They were delivered in 7 days and it works a treat, visit the link and search for you make/model of laptop as see what comes up

So I might finally be able to put it to use then, I haven't even turned it on for over a year because it wouldn't stay on for long, I didn't need it for anything and couldn't find the codes for our old web connection. I will try and find it tonight and give it a blow out and suss the battery out too.

I'm in Belgium so I don't think there is a PC world here, but I am sure there is some kind of equivalent company that will charge stupid prices but it may not even need a check up. I think I just need to spend a bit of time using it first for more than just playing chess.

It would be good if I can avoid getting a new laptop, the battery and phillips 880 flashed go on the shortlist too.

Thankyou for the info and link for the batteries.

Archived