Imaging- Choices???

Apologies in advance for the totally dumb noob question...

Right...where do I start with imaging??

My kit list:

Nexstar 8GPS (no wedge though:()

Microsoft Lifecam

Canon 50D

70-200 f4L Lens

Nebula filters.

Star Diagonal

x2 Barlow lens

T-Adapter

I have managed to mount the Canon 50D via a T-adapter in prime focus on the scope, and have used this to get some decent lunar images.

Questions:

1. Should I continue with this approach, maybe using a tube? I am always paranoid about using the 50D in this manner as the sensor is exposed. I am paranoid about dust and dew on the sensor.
  2. Use the Lifecam. Mounted on the Barlow or without? man up and learn to use Registax?
  3. Piggyback the 50D and use the 70-200 for some wide-field stuff?
  4. Will I need a wedge if I want to get into DSOs?

My goal is to image planetary objects. I also want to try some DSO stuff...the "easy" ones to start with (Orion and Andromeda?).

I am confused by the choice and depth of knowledge required, and I don't want to buy kit that I don't have to.

Many thanks for any advice offered:icon_salut:

Right, had a go at it last night.

First up was the 50D, mounted on a diagonal and Barlow. It seemed pretty good for lunar work (I need to work on my focus skills)....

th_68cada60.jpg

The above hasn't been worked on in PS, so I can improve the image.

After a fiddle in PS, this was the outcome of another image.

th_a6ab9409.jpg

Am pretty pleased with that.

I then tried Jupiter. The seeing wasn't great, as there was a fair bit of atmospheric turbulence, but this is the best result with the 50D:

th_9db59358.jpg

I have twiddled about in PS with the above image, but TBH, the detail isn't there to allow me to do much with it.

Lastly, I tried the Seven Sisters. I took about 15, 15 second exposures (ISO1000 to try and get some detail). I have tried stacking them in Registax, but 1) I don't know how to use Registax, 2) I think that 15 seconds exposures aren't anywhere near long enough to get any sort of detail, especially on a f10 scope.

I then tried Jupiter, this time with the Lifecam. Getting the image on the sensor was a right old PITA. I couldn't manage it with a x2 Barlow, but I finally got something registered. Getting, and judging focus I also found really difficult. Anyway, I shot off an 800x600 20 FPS avi file. Again, I barely know how to fumble about in Registax, but I finally managed to get this result:

th_0d860051.jpg

So, in summary, what have I learned?:

• I should re-name this thread "An Idiot At Lose With a 'Scope":icon_confused:
  • The 50D is pretty damn good for lunar work. I reckon a filter would improve things a bit. I might also pick up a 2nd hand 350/400D, rather than exposing my precious 50D sensor to the environment.
  • Imaging with a webcam is HARD:icon_scratch:. Lots to learn, though, which is a great challenge.
  • Registax has a steep learning curve. Unfortunatley for me, I am really poor at following tutorials, so I can see myself having fun getting to grips with this malarky.

Any thoughts/critique/comments/pointers are welcome. Of course, you are welcome to just point and laugh as well:)

Hi, I went through the same problems and thought processes as you when I wanted to get into astrophotography. I'm not really interested in planetary and lunar imaging though so I had to understand the kit needed for DSO imaging.

My best and one of my first purchases was the book written by SGL member "Steppenwolf" "Making Every Photon Count". It's my bible which I read most days and really does answer the question that get asked by everyone starting out in astrophotography.

Generally though, using a webcam is usually the way to go for planetary imaging but they aren't any good for DSO work. Without a wedge you'd also be very limited in shooting dso's. A sturdy EQ mount with tracking would be much better but your Canon 50d, even without modding, would be capable of some superb dso images.

I'm sure others will be a long with better advice.

Good luck

Not too bad a start at all. There is a thread on here about using registax and all the settings etc and from what i have read you will probably get the best results with your webcam and not your 50D. Sorry i can`t advise more but i am no expert myself either.:)

For deep sky I found the SCT-wedge very unproductive and deeply regretted having sunk so much cash and effort in that approach. I know others who feel the same but there are those who have made them work. My personal view is 'Forget the SCT if you want to get into DSO imaging. Bite the bullet sooner rather than later.'

DS imaging with camera lens? Yes! Very good but you need an EQ mount, which won't cost much more than a wedge.

Wedge and SCT is great for planetary though.

Olly

I don't image with a DSLR but surely you can cover the sensor with a filter?

Archived