Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Increasing magnification for Watec 120n+

Alien

Hi,

I have been experimenting using my Watec 120n+ for planetary imaging. With a 2x Barlow I can see some cloud detail on Jupiter, for example, but would like to really push the magnification. Has anybody any experience of this that they could share, please? I was wondering if the camera can be adapted to fit a Hyperion eyepiece for example or if just a larger Barlow is the answer...(?)

I am using it with a 200mm Exlorer 200p Newt which is normally limited to about 400x mag. I wondered if with a high frame rate accumulation setting on the Watec this could be pushed much further.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

You can certainly use the same "economy" adaptor combo as for Hyperions to standard Webcam.

See following PDF (at top left!) for part numbers:

http://www.alpineastro.com/Hyperion-Eyepieces_com/Images_and_Docs/Hyperion_Manual_2.pdf

It is not even *strictly* necessary to add additional extensions - Though it might prevent collision between the camera nose (+ filters) and Hype eye lens! FWIW, The 24mm Hype + 7.5mm extension gives about the same image scale as the telescope objective alone. Using either shorter focal length Hypes and/or extension rings increases mag... as much as you could EVER want? :)

THIS was a very rapid (fairly crumby!) demo of the technique - using my Watec for the very first time. MAK150 (f=1800mm) + 24mm Hyp as above. Doubtless can be improved, but clearly a fair old mag! :D

P.S. If I recall correctly, there was plenty of light available from Jupiter too...

Archived