Help finding the right first telescope please.

Hi all, I am hoping for some advice for a mere beginner to astronomy. I plan to purchase a first telescope for me to use, as well as teach my 11 year old daughter who also has a keen interest. I want to buy something which will serve as a good all rounder, but especially to view planets to start with, as I feel it will be beneficial to my daughter to start with something she understands, but we will want to star-gaze as well. I am pretty much sold on the SkyWatcher EXPLORER-200P EQ5 Newtonian Reflector Telescope, which appears to offer everything we will need and we can later add Go-To once we have learned our way around the hard way. I live in a good area for seeing as we are in the sticks and there is hardly any artificial light. I am interested in hearing from people who know this scope, is it the right choice? Are there any pitfalls I need to consider? What alternatives should I consider?

Many thanks.

providing you are happy with polar alignment of the mount sounds like you have made a great choice. eye piece could be in a position that's hard to see for a child, but depends on their height... mine are all short so bit hard haha

providing you are happy with polar alignment of the mount sounds like you have made a great choice. eye piece could be in a position that's hard to see for a child, but depends on their height... mine are all short so bit hard haha

The aligment doesn't bother me, I figure I learn more that way, rather than leap straight into Go-To. My daughter isn't particularly tall, can I assume that you mean the eye piece could be too high for her to reach? If so can I not just give her something suitable to stand/sit on? Happy to take all concerns on board before I spend my hard earned readies. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Personally I think you should at least consider a scope on a dobsonian mount like this:

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Simplicity itself to operate, less bulky to store and move about than an equatorially mounted scope and a good "allrounder" offering lots of "wow per £".

I did look at the Sky-Watcher SKYLINER-250PX 10 inch, but struggled to find much in the way of reviews. Also, from a newbie perspective it looked "strange", so perhaps I wasn't sure what the advantages/disadvantages were over equatorial? In addition, on a mount like this do you just lie down next to it, or do you place it on something to get it to your height?

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Personally I think you should at least consider a scope on a dobsonian mount like this:

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Simplicity itself to operate, less bulky to store and move about than an equatorially mounted scope and a good "allrounder" offering lots of "wow per £".

ditto the above i have this scope and love it:p

i find the 200p is just right size wise,i carry mine in and out of the shed and set it up all in one piece.i,m an average size man and to me this is as much as i would like to do in one piece,you can take the tube off the mount and carry them separately if you wish.visual wise both the 200 and the 250 are well liked judging by past threads on sgl:cool:

Archived