NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Aero ED40 continues to impress

John

A lengthy appraisal of this eyepiece was posted here by Andrew* a while ago so I won't go on at length about it but I've now used it a few times with both my F/6.5 102mm ED refractor and F/5.9 152mm maksutov-newtonian and the more I use it, the more I'm liking it.

Didn't have a long session tonight with the mak-newt thanks to cloud onset but I did manage to spend a little time on some of my favourite large DSO's in the Cassiopeia / Andromeda region.

M31 / M32 and M110 filled the 3 degree field (M31 overflowing it of course) looking contrasty and well defined (even M110). The double cluster in Perseus looked superb and was a good demonstration of how well controlled the astigmatism is in the Aero ED 40 - stars stayed star-like way out towards the edges of the FoV and even right at the edges there was no really objectionable distortion. Star colours within the two clusters were nicely picked up as well.

Also had a quick look at the Pleiades as they rose out of the Bristol murk. Again the ED 40 could show off it's qualities here with the whole of this sprawling group in the FoV looking very crisply defined.

In addition to the above, the Aero ED 40 is a very immersive eyepiece IMHO, much more so that it's published 68 degree FoV would suggest. Comfortable eye relief and relative light weight for such a large piece adds to it's appeal.

It's been said that the optics in the Aero ED's (in the USA sold as Astro Tech Titan II's) are the same as the TMB Paragon's - from my experiences, I can well believe it :)

It's been said that the optics in the Aero ED's (in the USA sold as Astro Tech Titan II's) are the same as the TMB Paragon's - from my experiences, I can well believe it :)

This is good to read. I have the 35mm ED, which, other than a shadow from my secondary, was stunning on M31.

I'm still waiting to be able to buy my refractor, in which I know th 35 will recieve plenty of use.

Mr. Wu will be please to hear how highly thought of his ED EPs are.

This is good to read. I have the 35mm ED, which, other than a shadow from my secondary, was stunning on M31.

I'm still waiting to be able to buy my refractor, in which I know th 35 will recieve plenty of use.

Mr. Wu will be please to hear how highly thought of his ED EPs are.

Well please pass my compliments to Mr Wu on the ED40 and the ED30 (which I tried a while ago). The range is clearly very good :)

It would be very interesting to compare an ED35mm with the Meade 34mm SWA - I reckon it would be a very close call :D

Archived