SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

scopes

Hi All

At the moment I use a ETX 125 for imaging and some visual work, In my shed I have a old 6inch reflector which is well passed its day on a super poloris equatorial mount, no motors. I was thinking of putting either a SW 120 evostar refractor or a SW 200p reflector, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks olly now I know the mount will take the two scopes I am undecided which one to get taking into consideration I live in Birmingham about 7miles from the city, with walsall on the other side and westbrom about 6 miles away so dark skies are at a premium.

Hi Thommo - if you look in the "Communities" link at the top of the page and select "Social Groups" you'll find "West Mids Stargazers" listed on the right hand side. I'm sure you'd be welcome as a member there - nice bunch of folk, I know one or two of them - and they have a dark site where they meet regularly. :)

hi all

I think I have decided on the skywatcher 200p to mount on my super polaris mount to complement my ETX 125, just hope I am making the right choice, I was also thinking of getting the skywatcher zoom ep as well.

problem with the zoom is its a compromise really- it will never be as good as a set of fixed focal length ep's. I suggest you need at least three eyepieces, preferably four- very low power for wide DSO and as a 'finder' ep, low to med power for DSO and high power for planets, small plantary nebula and doubles etc. With the evostar at 1000mm focal length, the 28mm SP you have would cover the low power finder eye piece. I'd suggest something at 13-18mm for medium power and 6-10 for high power perhaps? You then have a choice to make of two decent eyepieces at £50 each or one better one for your full budget.

Archived