Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BS Astro manual filter wheel

adamsp123

I decided to get the BS astro 2" filter wheel from Modern Astronomy as the cost of a USB version plus the 2" filters was just too expensive.

The wheel is very sturdy and well made, 4 allen key type screws hold the 2 plates together, removing these you get to the wheel itself for placement of the filters.

The click stop for each position is very positive with a little window where you can see a number (1 to4) corresponding to which filter is selected.

I have not noticed any light leakage when in use and I do have some stray light coming from neighbours outdoor lamps from time to time.

As it is all made of Aluminium I would recommend careful and light lubrication of all the treads of the filter wheel, the camera locking ring and T adaptor are hard to unscrew without an application of lube, I used a small drop of light 3 in 1 oil.

Very happy with the product.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, here it is, with experimental 2x wheel setup (+ AE wheel that doesn't have T-threads):

2evqc5l.jpg

Note: if you want to screw something into the T-thread from the filters side that isn't part of the wheel (wheel nosepiece or T-ring) it has to have short T-thread or it will hit the Baader/other high filters. For Celestron Radial Guider I have to reverse the filter so it screws into the OAG and filters aren't blocked :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived