SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW 150PDS or 200PDS or Something else for Imaging?

Hi, I have been going back and forth between getting a 150 PDS or 200 PDs to go with the HEQ5 and Canon 1000d for starting the slippery slope into imaging and as a platform to expand on. The 150 may allow me to get a refractor as well (I.e. ST80 or something similar), whereas the 200 would mean just getting that for the time being.

I know its greedy, but I do like the idea that if I can get a refract as well I could observe whilst the exposures are happening (or am I just mad to think I can do everything at once) I do still have the Celestron I started with so could use the mount from that for the observy bit.

My ultimate goal is to get a set-up where I also have OAG alongside the DSLR/CCD to get the best possible from the camera and mount and is a logical step to me rather than have a separate guider scope.

I do have the Baader MPCC which will be needed on the Newt, but could only find a couple of links which suggest that in order to have MPCC with OAG they have had to move the Primary up the tube to get the proper back focus. I know there is a Baader OAG that has been designed to work with the RCC1 but then that means MPPC would have to go etc. etc.

My questions therefore are:-

1) For what I am looking to do is there any big reason to get the 200 or would the 150 be adequate for now allowing me to get a nice refract as well

2) Should I be looking at OAG

3) Am I mad or is there a better alternative i.e. go for a SW ED80????

Roy

Sorry im late on this thread but for imaging i would have recomended the Skywatcher 80ed pro without hesitation, i bought a 250pds for astrophotography to compliment the 80ed but to be honest, i hardly use it for that reason, the 80ed just has to much to offer.

Archived