Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR Help - SKYLINER-250PX FLEXTUBE SYNSCAN GO-TO

As above I have a SKYLINER-250PX FLEXTUBE SYNSCAN GO-TO.

I would really like to get a DSLR adapter for my Nikon so I can take a few snaps of the moon.

Can anyone advise exactly what items I need to buy.

I assume I am one small part away from using my camera but the info online is so confusing.

Thanks in advance!

With a DSLR, you need a T2 adapter and a suitable adapter for your focuser.

What you do is...

- remove lens from camera

- attach adapter camera bayonett -> T2 (T-ring)

- attach a 1,25" or 2" adaptor to the T-ring

... and just stick the camera + adaptor into the eyepiece holder.

This will turn your telescope into a REALLY big lens for your camera :-)

Good luck, W.

post-21372-133877498779_thumb.jpg

Basically, yes. You can use a barlow lens for higher magnification, though.

It's also possible to attach the camera to a suitable eyepiece and use a method called eyepiece projection, but I wouldn't recommend that - you need a special eyepiece, another adapter, and it's quite fiddly and hard to get into focus.

There's also a method called afocal projection: Stick an eyepiece in the focusser, hold your camera (with lens attached) to the eyepiece and take a photo. You can even buy some sort of contraptions that hold your camera in place. Some people manage surprisingly good pictures with that method.

For detailed high-res images of the moon, most people use a webcam these days (or similar - I use a QHY5 guide cam, there's the range of Imaging Source cameras etc.). You record an AVI-video and use a stacking software like Registax. Most of the lunar pictures in the forums are made using this method. It should work nicely on your autotracking dobson, too.

Good luck, W.

Archived