Webcam imaging scope upgrade

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Mak 127 for webcam imaging and I am so bitten by the bug that I am looking to upgrade the scope.

My question would be what would be a sensible and noticable step up without having to sell body parts? I am willing to sell off both the Mak and my 12" Lightbridge to help fund my new obsession but I would only be looking at the resale value of both scopes plus a smidgin extra if pushed. I would be looking at the second hand market and particularly like the Schimdt/Mak type if anyone has any suggestions. Is this even a realistic, worthwhile idea?

Thanks in advance

Tony

to be honest for webcam imaging it doesnt get much better than a 127 mak but if you mean getting into dso imaging you are talking aout mortgaging several body parts you'll need a gem with good tracking, camera, laptop, a faster telescope, filters cables processing software i believe there was a thread on here where somebody was talking about a grand for second hand gear. A good barlow and uv filter will help get better pics with your webcam

Hi rowan 46,

Thanks for replying to my query. I will take your advice and invest in a good quality barlow as this seems like a sensible alternative.

I was just wondering if I would get any noticable improvement by upgrading to a 8" or 10" aperture. I don't want to go down the Deep Sky imaging route so thanks again for your advice.

Kind regards

Tony

Hi Tony

I think I'm in a similar situation as yourself. I feel I'd like to move on to DSO imaging and have had my eye on this scope/mount, the Skywatcher Explorer 300P DS NEQ6 PRO.

I would still like to keep my MAK127 for webcam work and portability.

I'm hoping to sell my Canon 1D 2N almost unused and boxed (<3500 clicks) to help fund the upgrade. I have given myself until the new year to do the research on deciding before delving in and buying.

Tony

Archived