Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opinions: EPs or Barlow

Hi, ATM I got a 2" 28mm EP and wanted different ones. I also have 2" baader 2" UHC-SL filter and ND filter. I was looking at these EPs: http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/special_offers Are these worth getting? Anyone used them?

I wanted to stick to 2" EPs thats why I'm not so sure. So instead would it be better to get a relevation 2" 2X ED barlow for now? Then later on get good 2" EPs.

When I do get the hang of using the scope I wanted to do astrophotography so having a good barlow makes sense, or are there better barlows under £100??

It's fine (and perfectly usual) to use 2" eyepieces for low power, wide field use and 1.25" eyepieces for medium to high power - most folks end up with a set like that. You can still use your 2" filters with 1.25" eyepieces if you get a 1.25" - 2" adapter that is threaded for 2" filters.

I can't recommend the Skywatcher LER set that you have linked to though I'm afraid - I've used a couple of those and the quality was very "average" at best. With your scope you would never use the 2mm either so that would just gather dust.

Some folks have reported problems getting the Revelation ED 2" 2x barlow to fit all the way into the focusser of their Skywatcher 200P focusers so that might be worth checking before you buy one.

The TMB / TS Planetary eyepieces are well thought of and good value at £36-£50 each. Great for medium - high power viewing.

Thanks John, so I should be looking at 6mm or 9mm EPs and just avoid skywatcher set. I think the 200p has a different focuser than the 200pds so hopefully the relevation barlow should be ok(I'll check anyway to be sure).

From what I've read is that the barlow is good quality for the price so I may just get that also for imaging.

Archived