NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filter wheels

Uranium235

Hiya,

Im just in the process of getting the gubbins to go with the new camera, the intention is to get a manual 1.25" filter wheel. I know it will work fine with the ED80, but how about the 150P?

Is the amount of in-travel (on a newt) required just as important for CCDs as it is with a DSLR? I just thought that if I try adding a filter wheel to the 150P then it might not focus. Would be interested in hearing from peeps who use a CCD with a newt.

The wheel I have in mind is the scopeteknix (AC626), 19.5mm thick.

Thanks! :)

Yes, filter wheels can be a problem for in-focus with a Newt. You need to add the flange to chip distance of the CCD to the depth of the filter wheel and any adaptors to work out the register of the system. A Canon DSLR has a register of 44mm and focuses on the Explorer 150P when using the built in T-thread on the draw tube, so providing the register of your CCD and filter wheel is under this you should be OK.

Thanks Dave. Right, then I might try to fix up the 314L+ to the wheel using just the male/male t-adapter to keep the register low enough. Guess I wont know until I try it.

Though I would eventually have to upgrade the focuser to a 10:1, as the 150P can be a pain to focus at times.

Archived