NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB cables in Obsy

Ford Prefect

Hi all

Now the wiring loom is installed by thought's have turned to the data cabling. I know that this should be kept away from the power but should I hide it behind the stud walls or lay it in conduit at the edge of the walls.

I also know that USB cables are not all created equal so if anyone has any recommendations that would be great

Your thoughts are appreciated

Cheers Jon

You dont have to keep away from the power but you will need to avoid running it in parallel with the power leads, you can have them crossing over.

I personally would run it in conduit just in case one goes bad, it would be much easier to change it.

I've been using Maplin USB leads and USB extenders and I have to say I've been pretty pleased with them so far. The repeater was £14.99 for a 5m so a bit more expensive than some places.

Another online place I use for USB leads is sevendayshop.com, they are based in the channel islands so no VAT under £50 I think it is. Some of there leads have been pretty good and a cheap 5m USB cable that cost about £2.49 is still going strong and its permanantley outside in the shed.

HTH.

I've been using Maplin USB leads and USB extenders and I have to say I've been pretty pleased with them so far. The repeater was £14.99 for a 5m so a bit more expensive than some places

Same here - Maplin active USB cables and a powerd hub.

Consistency with USB leads and extenders is not guranteed. I would suggest buying what you reckon you need (including powered extenders). Then add an extra metre or two or 'ordinary' leads to make things a bit worse. Then make sure it all works on the bench. If all goes well, you can remove the unwanted extra bits and hide the cable, confident that it is not just working, there is some margin.

A further consideration is temperature. Most commercial/domestic kit is built to minimum price and considered to be at room temperature. The obsy is a cold place. Make sure any circuits (booster on extender lead for example) are accessible in case you find problems at low temperaure and need to apply a little heat. Much easier on the wall than behind it.

Finally contacts. Contact plating is all done down to a price so can degrade with condensation and time. A little smear of vaseline or silicone grease on the contacts will help. Don't go mad and don't use 'car' grease. It might react with the plastic housings long term.

Hope at least some of this is useful

The low levels of current used on the power supplies wont give you any problems with the data cables. The data cables will be twisted pair and screened and if you use armoured cable for the mains this will be screened too. I run all my services out to the pier from my house in a conduit underground and have never had any issues.

Regards

Kevin

Archived