NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Use of Compressed Air

sbooder

Hi All,

I have just purchased some 5L of Distilled Water to clean the mirrors of my 10” newt, and also a tin of Dust Off compressed air.

The question I have is about the compressed air. I know the dangers of liquid coming out of the end and that some compressed air is pressurised by nasties and one should be careful about its application. But what angle do you use the air at? Do you have it blowing onto the mirror at 90 degrees, or should it blow across the mirror with a parallel relation to the mirror?

Any views on this would be most welcome.

If your planning on washing your mirrors there's no need to use compressed air, compressed air is OK for blowing dust of EP's etc but you shouldent be using it on mirrors that have soft aluminium or silver coatings.

OK, that is just the sort of thing I needed to know. The mirrors do need a serious clean, but I was of the mind that the very dilute washing-up liquid in tepid water followed by distilled water was the way to go. It was not a waste of money though, as I need to clean my keyboard anyway.

Thanks Chaps.

Would it be possible to use two large squirty bottles? One filled with warm weak soapy water and the other with distilled water? Simply remove the mirror from the OTA, squirt the warm soapy water over it for a minute or so and then wash with distilled water?

This seems easier than taking the mirror and soaking it and then drying it vertically and so on...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived