Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Busy night on Jupiter

mike.brightmore

Maybe I've had too much Guiness with my Mexican at the Hungry Horse but I can see Ganymede transiting the South Temperate Belt of Jupiter (2340 hrs BST) even though its shadow isn't due to cross the planet's disc for another hour yet. Shortly afterwards there will be a double shadow transit (Ganymede and Europa) with Io disappearing behind Jupiter.

Don't know where you are but this evening I've had my best view of Jupiter this appartition i.e. for several years. The seeing isn't consistently good but there have been odd half seconds of "steel engraving" quality ... of course it all went to heck in a hand basket when I connected a camera to my CPC1100 ...

Seeing isn't particularly good but as Brian says there are periods of clarity. The bright moon is not helping either. I was surprised to be able to see Ganymede as a clear dark spot (just like a shadow transit). It has now just exited the disk and Europa is moving in to start its transit. Hopefully Ganymede's shadow will start to cross very soon. Watching these shadow transits and working out the angle of the Sun really puts the Solar System into perspective. I fancy another Guiness while I ponder these celestial mechanics.

Hi Tantulus

I love it when things happen right on cue. As you say there is now clear sky between Ganymede and Jupiter with Europa half on the disc. I can just see Ganymede's shadow starting its transit just below Europa. Pity the GRS is on the far side.

Any comments on the SEB? It looked to me as though there is something starting to happen ... my blue image still just shows a single uniform narrow line but the red image is quite "busy". Visually the SEB looked darker to me than I've seen it before this year.

I can see Ganymede's shadow clearly, but I'm about to lose Jupiter behind houses, and I don't want to move the front of the house, so I'm calling it a night. Hope it stays clear for you and looking forward to reading your report on the morning guys...

Ganymede's shadow just over half way across and Europa's shadow just starting to cross. Io about to be occulted. Unfortunately Jupiter now behind the conifer hedge but I just managed to see the double transit. Can't see any change to the SEB.

Archived