Hello from Hastings, England! I need some advice please!

Hey, I just wanted to say hello to everyone :)

My 2 sons and I want to get into astronomy (i'm hoping it will stop them wanting to play the xbox all the time!) and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what type of telescope to buy?

I have a budget of around £300, but could push it up a bit if necessary.

I've done some research and the Dobsonian Skywatcher Skyliner 200P looks a good one to start with. What do people reckon?

Also would I need any accessories?

If anyone has any advice I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks,

Matt

It's a decent choice for a first telescope - the 8" optics are good quality and the dobsonian mount is easy to move for an adult. It's a reasonable size for portability as well (just work out where you'll store it). The telescope is an all-rounder - not the best for planets or DSOs but pretty good for most things.

You will need accessories - so don't blow the budget

(1) Turn Left at Orion - needed to show you how to find the faint fuzzies.

(2) Eyepieces - the 10 and 25 mm 1.25" SMAs are adequate, but you'll want to upgrade. 120x is not enough magnification for the planets. Suggest a decent barlow at a minimum with some Meade 4000s. I'd suggest a 38 to 55mm 2" eyepiece for widefield as well.

(3) Notebook and Red Torch - record the observations

(4) Membership of your local astronomy club

Welcome,

With two boys of my own who are getting to know me as "Turn the xBox off now or your grounded", angry man....I agree that it would be good to get them involved.

Mine luckily into Science at school so I have sold as a great way to learn and use as part of their science work.

I started with 130EQ and it gave me a start to get going but already am looking to upgrade so the Dob would suffice for a while and agree with the earlier reply about the essential items needed.

Roy

Extras:

2 more eyepieces eventually, the 10mm and the barlow that is supplied is usually not that great.

Collimating tool, need one for reflectors, used to get the 2 mirrors aligned correctly.

Book, whatever one you find best for you.

Although a 2" eyepiece would be nice, a fairly simple 30 or 32 mm eyepiece will give a wide field of view. If you wanted you could consider a wide angle eyepiece of a nice long focal length. I have a 2" and they are big beasties, so swapping from 2" to the normal ones takes time - different fittings to swap. Keep it simple and just stick with 1.25" eyepieces. for now.

Warm clothing, and patience, lots of both.

Try fedastro.org.uk for clubs around you.

Archived