NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Magnifications list.

I know its often peoples own personal tastes, but is there any definitive lists for observing planets, nebulae etc showing recomended magnifications.

i.e Jupiter x150 etc

Im trying to organise myself BEFORE I go out, I have enough fun already scrambling aropund in the drakness switching eyepeices, trying not to lose things as it is!.

Thanks

is there any definitive lists for observing planets, nebulae etc showing recomended magnifications.

No. The general rule is to go as high as you can, subject to the limitations of your scope and the atmospheric conditions. Once the image breaks down and you see less detail rather than more, you've gone too high. This applies to both planets and DSOs. It's often said that the latter are best viewed at low power - it ain't true. They're brightest at lowest power, but will show least detail.

Roger Clark offers suggested optimal magnifications for DSOs in his (out-of-print and very-hard-to-find, but classic) book Visual Astronomy Of The Deep Sky:

Visual astronomy of the deep sky - Google Books

Not really specific and magnification will depend on the scope and conditions.

I have seen Jupiter under a small refractor at 60x, almost immediatly afterwards saw Jupiter at 120x through a big SCT. The refractor image was smaller but much sharper and to me a lot better.

There is probably a minimum magnification that you need.

From what I have looked through at at Jupiter needs 60x and up,

Saturn needs around 120x and up, Mars seems to come in at 120-150x. Moon is so close that 20x is fine, actually binoculars at 8-10x give good results.

The small refractor that I looked at Jupiter was too small to give 120x so as said magnification will depend on the scope to an extent.

DSO's it is a case of low mag to find them then a compromise between magnification and brightness,

What scope have you? as that may help.

200m f/l 1000

All I really want is a rough guide on various dso's, and a few planets. I just have the fear that im doing it wrong and missing out on better views.

For the more extended deep sky objects (eg: M31, M42, M35, the double cluster etc) you want a low power, wide field of view. Around 30x is good for this. For more compact objects such as smaller (apparent size) galaxies, globular clusters planetary nebulae etc, something in the 60x-90x range is useful - more power for the smallest of these objects. For planets, the moon and double stars 100x and upwards although some planets (eg: Saturn) takes higher magnfication than others (eg: Jupiter).

Always be guided by the conditions at the time you are observing though as these are what dictates the quality of the views - often using a bit less power will bring better views. I rarely use more than 240x even with my 10" scope. Jupiter has been great at around 130x-150x this year.

There are no hard and fast rules though and it's fun to experiment :)

There are no hard and fast rules though and it's fun to experiment :)

Agreed, I am happy to work it out myself (part of the adventure), I just wanted reassurance i'm in the right ball park.

When you are stood in the darkness fiddling with eypeices, barlow, etc and not quite sure what you are even looking (with DSO's), while trying to do your sums so you dont over/under magnify, all the time trying to justify the costs of what you brought to the wife while she is rapidly losing patience, any help you can get is a considerable lifeline.

It's pretty much what John said.

This is what I use 99% of the time:

37x for large DSOs, finding stuff, scanning the sky

74x and 120x for smaller DSOs (I alternate between them, sometimes one gives a better view then the other)

120x and 240x for planets and double stars, depending on seeing conditions

This is what I use:

50x for extended clusters, star fields and asterisms (that's the lowest mag on my scope)

90-150x for globular clusters (the higher mag darkens the sky and lets my small scope resolve some of the stars)

150x on Saturn

150x on Jupiter (with good seeing I can use 220x)

The moon is good at any magnification. At 90x I have the largest view of the moon with my EPs that still fits into the field of view, so I suppose that is my favorite.

If you use higher powers on Jupiter, you have to be patient and wait for the moments when the air stabilizes, typically for half a second now and then!

Archived