2" or 1.25" for an f/5.9 scope

I have a 102mm spotting scope and don't have the funds to replace it anytime soon. Whereas I intend to buy barlows and other eyepieces would I be better buying 2" eyepieces or carrying on with the 1.25"?

I live in a city and don't have severe light pollution but would like to see nebulas, galaxies and other dso's.

How do you propose I progress?

2" doesn't bring any advantage other then the extra FoV they are physically capable to achieve. In other words, if you want a 30mm EP with 82º FoV you'll only find them in 2" format as it's impossible to make one and fit it in a 1.25" barrel.

So I think the question is: Do you want 1 or 2 SWA or UWA EPs with a long FL? If so then you need 2" EPs.

I think that with a focal length of 600mm (f5.9 102mm aperture) you don't need 2" EPs. A 20mm EP will give you a low mag of 30x, and you can get 1.25" 20mm EPs with apparent field of views around 70-80 degrees. So no advantage from 2" EPs.

To be honest, if you would like to see nebulae, galaxies and other dso's well, it might be best to save your £'s towards some more aperture. You can pick up a used 8" dobsonian for the price of a couple of decent 2" eyepieces these days.

Archived