Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

have i got comet hartley?

I have been trying to image comet Hartley, my telescope is out of action and i have no decent binos, other than the tiny ones my mum got for me.

So i decided the only way i might see the comet is pointing my camera in the right area of sky and hoping a long exposure might bring it out.

My camera is not a SLR/DSLR so i dont have a bulb feature, but i can do exposures up t0 15 seconds.

Using this method i have definatley picked up a faint blur that i think is in the right area and after checking on stelarium it confirmed that there something there that should not be, i took many photos and moved the camera around a bit to ensure what i was seeing wasnt some kind of image defect like hot pixels.

I am hoping someone with a detailed star chart and good knowlede of the comets position, plus good eyesight as it really is faint! might be able to check out my pic and confirm if its the comet (the bright star is Capella) it is more noticeable in the original pic, for some reason its not as obvious now i added it to photobucket!

th_MaybeCometHartley103P-marker.jpgMaybeCometHartley103P-marker.jpg

thanks in advance!

Jay

Archived