NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Trruss Rod Dobs

Earl

Like brantuk says the balance point is right where they pivot on the dob base. They have circular pods that stick out to meet the dob base - see the images on the opticalvision website. I think you'd be doing well to get a tube ring above the balance point because if you go above where the pods stick out I think you're going to hit the things that hold the bottom of the truss tubes. I could check on mine, but I doubt there's room for a tube ring.

Anyway do you really want to do imaging with a truss tube? I cover the open part of the tube with camping mat and also extend the tube a bit with camping mat to prevent dew on the secondary. I really wonder what all that does in the way of tube currents. Seems to give steady enough views after a cooling period, but I imagine solid tube is better.

Archived