NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First webcam shot of Jupiter - Advice?

Hi all, I'd like some advice on how I might be able to improve on my first webcan shot of jupiter:

jupiter-stacked-20101016-2021-0001.bmp

Taken on Friday with a 4.5" TAL-1, Philips SPC900 and 3xBarlow. Video taken of about 1 minute (Jupiter all but disappeared behind the clouds a couple of times). Sadly I can't remember the camera settings. Stacked it in Registax.

If you look closely, you can just make out 3 three moon 'splodges' and the shadow of one on Jupiter.

What can I do to improve on this with my current equipment (or minimal further outlay) I particulary want to do the following:

• Improve the colours. Presumably this just takes tweaking in Registax or The Gimp but are there any camera settings that would affect this?
  • Improve detail. Do I just need to focus it better or is this more playing in registax?
  • Get the moons to be more like the bright points I see through the eyepiece.
  • Increase resolution. Is this possible? It's a vga webcam so it won't do more than 640x480 but is there some magic that Registax can do with all the stills from the video to bring out more pixels in the final image or is it already doing all it can?

Thanks in advance

--- Penguin

Increase the length of the avi.

I think Jupiter can take up to 4 mins before blurring will occur (someone will confirm or deny this).

The more frames you have the better as Registax has much more to work with. Also, try and ensure that you choose a decent reference frame in Registax as this is what it will compare all the others against and the bin the ones which do not come up to scratch.

With regard to the moon, I do not think that you can get the moons and Jupiter at the same time and you would need to image the two sections separately (moons = 1, Jupiter = 2) and then form a composite image.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that. So a longer avi of Jupiter and a separate shot that over-exposes Jupiter in order to get the moons. That second bit certainly makes sense.

Next clear night at home I will have another go.

Thanks

Archived