Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light with Skywatcher Skyliner 200

Lazzy

This "report" is based on 16 October, where I was able to get to grips with my new scope.

To make sure I knew what I was doing, I decided to start by observing the moon during the latter part of the afternoon/dusk - this was essentially risk free as moon was moving East through South during sunset. Following various recommendations, I started by aligning the moon in my finderscope and was glad to find that the moon appeared centred using my 25mm eyepiece - the view was crisp and focused nicely. Already blown away, I spent some time taking in the "seas" and craters and adjusting the brightness. Not sure that I'll need to get a filter but it might help with making observing a litle more comfortable.

After a short while, I couldn't wait too much longer before switching the 25mm for the 9mm orthoscopic eyepiece, and the details visable were stunning - especially around the terminator where the shadows were long, and sent the imagination running, and those southern craters.

What really surprised me was the clarity - I have seen many a video on youtube with, what looks like, a hose pipe running over the view, but althogh there was a little movement, the viewing was pretty sharp across the majority of the fov.

Knowing that Jupiter would be making it's way into my viewing window (between two trees) a little later, I decided to leave the scope out to cool and returned around 9pm. Unfortunately, the BBC's forecast proved shoddy and I returned to the skies covered mostly in cloud with the odd patch of clear sky! Anyhow, not to be put off, I could see a patch of clear sky heading toward where I thought Jupiter was and waited........ She appeared fairly quickly and I switched back to the 25mm eyepiece, aligned the finderscope and hoped that I would find what I wanted to see. As I peered into the eyepiece, I could see that the view was out of focus, adjusting the knob I saw Jupiter appear with all of her moons - simply wonderful and set off perfectly by the distant stars around her. I must have been sitting there for about an hour, nudging the scope as I went. I could see the NEB and possibly the GRS (can someone confirm), so grabbed the 9mm for a closer look.

The 9mm showed even greater detail - seeing was obviously pretty decent and I was in complete awe, taking another minute or so to notice the shadow of one of her moons on the planet. Unfortunately, the cloud took over for the rest of the night - I did manage another peek or two but reluctantly packed up an hour or so later.

October 17th

The following night the skies were actually clear so I setup early and left the scope to cool. I revisted the moon in full darkness this time and loved watching our neighbour although the seeing was much worse than the previous night. Jupiter was telling the same story, the GRS (?) had disappeared and one of moons was passing behind the planet, to emerge a little later.

Still mesmorising, but the seeing was so much worse. I got far more enjoyment from the 25mm wide view eyepiece than the 9mm - although I am sure this is a common story!

Completely amazed by what I can see with my piece of metal, two mirror and a couple of bits of glass, and also feeling ever so slightly insignificent and tiny.

Was I spoilt on my first night, seeing-wise?? I had been planning a trip around Orion but the clouds scuppered my chances but I will return.

Any recommendations for further viewing??

Hi Lazzy

I Managed 20 mins in total Sat/Sun, I'm just north of you near Cromer, so think you did well to see anything at all!

Do you have a good obs site or do you find the city lights spoil it?

Did you get your 'scope locally as will be after one of them as soon as I can scrape some dough together, and hoping to pick one up rather than buy online

From Mr Envious:Envy:

Oh and recommendations for viewing.....

....let me av a peek!:)

Let us all know when you get your trip round Orion, wanna know what it looks like in a 'proper' 'scope!

Hi Matt,

I was just lucky on Saturday as a fair few patches of clear sky kept appearing! Sunday was absolutely clear so you did very well to get next to no viewing!!! My obs site is my back garden and I live within a couple of miles of the city centre. i didn't think that the LP was too bad until we drove back from dereham the other night - you could see the orange cloud coming to meet us - shocking, but my little corner faces E->S so I'm a happy bunny.

My scope was purchased locally from a gent on here who, strangely, I actually work in the same building with - very odd.

Got my fingers crossed for tomorrow night - looks like we should both have some clear sky time :)

I'm quite lucky in the fact that we have quite dark skies here, my obs site is a different matter though, I live in a flat and use the car park out the back, unfortunately the view near the horizon is only towards S & SW, also lit by the nearby streetlights and my neighbour's flat's lights, NW through to East is all trees and buildings. I also really struggle with the EQ1 mount that I have and can't get anything that's close to overhead so Cassiopeia and Andromeda are out of the question at the mo, hence I was looking for (well, more hoping for) a Skyliner 200, haven't heard a bad thing said about the 'scope.

It's definitely looking better for tonight, looks like the moon and Jupiter again though! Might try for some double stars as I'm gonna try and start a list, still very much a beginner at this so not many 'ticks' yet!

Fingers crossed for clear skies:D

Archived